Apprenticeships with JN Bentley are hands-on from day one; with dedicated mentors to support your development throughout the course, you'll have the opportunity to gain valuable experience and insight into the real world of work that will help you to pursue a career in the civil engineering and construction industry.
If you'd like to register your interest in an apprenticeship with JN Bentley, then please send some information about yourself through to email@example.com and we'll be back in touch when we start actively recruiting in 2018.
We currently run apprenticeships in the following areas:
Civil engineering is part of the construction industry; it is the design, construction and maintenance of infrastructure. Infrastructure is works like roads, bridges, tunnels, railways, runways and coastal walls.
Our civil engineering technician apprentices gain experience of working on live construction projects - everything from the construction of new sewage treatment works to the upgrading of existing spillways and reservoirs.
General construction operations
Our general construction apprentices gain experience of working on live construction projects - everything from the construction of new sewage treatment works to the upgrading of existing spillways and reservoirs.
Apprentices help to prepare the sites, putting up site huts, unloading and storing materials, and setting up ladders and scaffolding. Once work gets underway, duties include:
- Groundworking - marking out and digging shallow trenches for foundations and drains.
- Formworking - putting up or dismantling the shuttering that holds setting concrete in place.
- Steel fixing - bending and fixing the bars used to reinforce concrete structures.
- Steel piling - fixing steel sheets together to form temporary retaining walls for excavation work.
- Concreting - layering and smoothing concrete for foundations, floors and beams.
- Road working - concreting, laying kerbs, paving and re-surfacing.
Our business administration apprentices gain valuable experience working in different business areas - from customer service/client liaison to planning and quantity surveying - opening eyes to the various roles available in operational business admin.
Day-to-day responsibilities include:
- General office administrative duties including answering the phone, taking messages and customer/client liaison.
- Providing support to our design teams, site managers and contract partners by being a key point of contact throughout the investigation, design and construction of a scheme.
- Monitoring both current and future costs, preparing payments and internal cost reports and identifying and recording any changes
- Preparing and checking cost estimates and creating requisitions
- Managing relationships with a range of different parties to ensure deadlines are met.
Our apprenticeships are delivered in close partnership with the Learning Skills Partnership.
We recognise that after finishing GCSEs or A-levels that many young people are eager to start working rather than moving on to study full-time at university.
We currently employ a number of people working towards apprenticeships, higher apprenticeships, further and higher education qualifications alongside their day jobs, all fully supported by JN Bentley. Working whilst studying part-time means you gain practical experience that complements academic and professional development.
There are always many different opportunities available across our different roles. No matter what level you are at when you join us, we will provide you with full training and opportunities for development.